Image Map

6 Things from 6 Months at Disney >> SEPTEMBER

6 Things I've learned from 6 Months at Disney

september

Balance // Equilibrar


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I keep disappearing for a month at a time and I apologize! This is a late post but still incredibly important. 

Moving to a new country, into a new home, and settling into a new job sounds crazy, but in reality it isn't all that bad. The real challenge is learning how to balance work, school, and a social life altogether (and more often than not, the social life takes the biggest hit). For example, this week has been a 40 hour work week, which leaves little time on the side to do much else. And while school assignments have been easy, they require time to complete, a precious commodity we do not have much of. 




As of late, I have also set a personal goal to enter a rock climbing competition (woo hoo!). But that adds another level of responsibility to my list, including making time to workout and creating a healthy and clean diet plan. Thankfully I get two days off...(that is if I don't spend one whole afternoon at Walmart getting groceries, which really isn't exaggerating.)  With all those put together, it may seem impossible to have your cake and eat it too, but with a little creativity and time management, it's completely possible

So here is what I have learned works best if you also have a balancing act to maintain >>

  • Time Management
    • Anything that is due or urgent, keep it on high priority and allot time over the week to get it done. If it is a bigger assignment, get started earlier so you don't have to stress out about it later
    • Anything that is medium priority, make sure you dedicate an afternoon to finish
    • Low priorities can be done last, and usually can go after social events 
    • Time management isn't only for classes and work. Making time for yourself to just do something you enjoy is key to maintaining that balance. As a good friend once told me, "don't burn the candle on both ends!"

  • Procrastion = Bad
    • If you need to get something done, sit down, make yourself a cup of tea, turn off your music and other distractions, and just get it done
    • Every hour, go and take a 10 minute break, be it jumping jacks or watching a quick Youtube video; but once the 10 minutes is over, get back to the work and keep pushing until your done or until another hour has passed
    • The key to overcoming procrastination for myself is to set a reward. If I finish...then I get to...
    • Resting is not procrastination, it can be productive, but make sure that you dont spend all day "resting" when you don't necessarily need to

  • Social Life
    • Having a social life for extroverts like myself is a necessity, although I need my solitary time as well, nothing beats a night out with good company. 
    • Try to see your friends outside of work at least once a week. If you have a whole day to spare, then try to spend a day with them. You'll be surprised at how much fun it is and how rejuvenating it is, especially with the right people
    • If you don't have much time to spare or only want to see your friends for a few hours, then invite them over for tea or go to the pool together for a few hours!
    • I personally like to light two flames with one candle, so if I can, I would go grocery shopping with a friend or two because you can get something productive done while being with friends

  • Work
    • Unless you work at home, most of us follow schedules, so here I would just suggest arriving to work on time and making the most out of work
    • Working here at Disney, we really don't have the best pay in the world (and that's an understatement,) so attitude is everything. While at work, its in your best interest to keep everything light-hearted yet uphold a strong positive attitude. Of course it's impossible to do this every day but if you can do that at work, and maintain a habit of doing so, then you'll realize how much happier you are when you're outside of work
That's me at a typical party with rock climbers...balancing act on a whole new level

Follow me on bloglovin!
Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Finding balance is something that I still constantly struggle with and I've been working for 7 years (it's scary to say that). My social life is definitely what's taken a hit but if you're able to prioritize everything that's important to you, then those things you miss out on don't feel AS terrible. It seems like you're doing a good job of figuring this out so far - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure are busy! But it looks like you are having fun too. I hope things can slow down a little for you. Balancing life/work is hard, but it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have a social life anymore, haha. It does help to have friends who are also in school, so they understand that sometimes it just has to come first. Awesome picture, I would have fallen on my face! haha
    www.thisanalogadventure.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected