Image Map

Bad behavior tolerated? - Shakespeare would disagree

Why is it that rude and blunt people, albeit honest, are often tolerated and even commended in society?

Example

Person A puts up a status on facebook that insults less physically attractive people.

The public response as follows: 20 likes. 17 comments of praise.

I was shocked! I knew a good handful of the people who liked it in which all of whom I knew to be quite friendly, so why were they promoting such bad behavior?

Then it hit me; people weren't liking it because of what Person A said, they were liking it because they all wanted to be on his good side.

I know some might argue that he was just being honest, but before you respond, I'd like to point out that being blunt is not the same as being straightforward. When you're being straightforward, you're also being respectful. On the contrary, to be blunt really, is to be rude.

Shakespeare - Taming of the shrew
In Taming of the Shrew, Katherine is portrayed as the "bitch". Nobody in town likes her because of her rude personality. In fact, almost all the townsfolk put her down. When Petruchio, an understanding gentleman asks her to calm down, she goes on to declare that she will not, and that she will continue to speak what she feels or her "heart will burst". She grows furious, telling Petruchio that if he doesn't want to hear it, then he shouldn't listen.

There is a common phrase in our time that goes like this:

"If you don't like it, then don't listen."
You have probably heard that phrase before, but to speak with your emotions in place of your logical reasoning is to be irrational and so displays a lack of self-control.
Shakespeare, in the Taming of the Shrew, demonstrates with Katherine, that by having your emotions overcome your logic, you could only embarrass yourself. So perhaps next time you feel like blow a fuse, think twice before you act negatively on it.

9 comments:

  1. Totally agree; there's a difference between being frank and being dick. It's an overly self-righteous opinion and is completely insensitive to other people's sensitivities. There are much better ways to get your point across than creating more aggravation in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Respect does not come from without. It comes from within. Let's start there. You should never seek your strength or happiness from outside sources.

    Those things outside of yourself are like gold that will soon rust, but it is the precious pearls within that are priceless, and no man can rob you of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a great point by pointing out the difference between being blunt and being straightforward. It is possible to state your honest opinion while still being respectful, but it seems that many people haven't quite grasped that ability.

    Also, good job drawing comparisons between your observation and Taming of the Shrew. That's one of my favorites from Shakespeare. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting on my blog post :)

    I was reading your day zero project page and I LOVE IT! It's a brilliant idea - something that everyone should have and it is very inspiring to me.

    I noticed that you had jump in the cave of swallows, and skydiving as one of your goals. Are you a certified skydiver?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These days we seem surrounded by negativity…especially my posts on youtube for some reason. Negativity will often bring to you only more negativity. I chose to stay on the high road because the view is so much better. Just stumbled across your blog and think it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment! I agree, the negativity that is promoted is ridiculous! It's one of the reasons I have gone back forth about keeping my facebook active. Technology has given a whole new protected platform for people to say what they want without having to see the reactions of those around them or face the person they are insulting. It does nothing for anyone around the negative person except promote unkindness and disrespect, and it only serves to make the person commenting feel superior.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! So very true... we walk a fine line with words and people forget that sometimes or just maybe feel they are above others... the "hear me roar" taken out of context perhaps. I came across your blog from a help post... so glad I did! Maybe you can visit me at http://tracyrobin-soulfuljourney.blogspot.com I'll be following yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so true! I have a family member that thinks she can say whatever she wants, hurtful or not, because she is older and therefore "wise". What she doesn't realize is that if she keeps acting this way, she may soon come to find that she's the only person still listening :)

    Great blog! I'll be back... Oh, and I'm adding ya to my blogs I love list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very true! Just because you CAN say something doesn't mean you should!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected