Image Map

The Chief - Climbing the Apron

My day started at 8:30 when I woke up. After having a small breakfast, I met up with my climbing partner and we drove to all the way to Squamish, B.C. I had no idea where we were going to climb that day so when he told me we would be climbing the Chief, I could not have been happier. Though not too difficult, it's one of the most famous crags to climb.

We started climbing the Banana Peel (grade 5.7) on the Apron at approximately 11am. The hikes in between the climbs were harder than the actual climbs. The views were spectacular though, it was exactly like the hike, but 10x more rewarding.




After climbing the Banana Peel, we headed for the Butt/Face (grade 5.9), which is also on the Apron. All of the climbs I did that day were relatively easy and were perfect for beginners to step out of their comfort zone. In other words, perfect for me.


As we were heading to the buttface, we bumped into a couple of climbers that we had met earlier in the morning. They weren't sure how to get to next climb, and my climbing partner knew the area well, so they decided to join us to climb the rest of the crag together.


By the time I hit the crux, my nerves were shot. I was close to losing my cool but managed to keep it together and finish the last few pitches. Keeping calm can sometimes be the hardest part of climbing.




No day is complete without a battle scar to take home. Throughout the whole climb (which took all day), the actual rock had only given me a small scratch on my knee. Ironically, it was a tree that gave me this pretty cut. Yes, a tree sliced me open. I walked by carelessly, (because I felt like a hero after climbing all day), and pulled my leg past a stout and stubborn branch. I suspect it's revenge for using paper. :-P






So, at the end of the day, I may not be Chris Sharma or Sonnie Trotter, but climbing the Chief was a huge accomplishment none-the-less. The sheer joy of accomplishing a tough route; that is why I climb. :-)


14 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous way to spend your day! Sorry about your cut- hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gracious! what a true inspiration you are. look at that view--and your climb was awesome! i've always wanted to do that--i did a simulation climb at a little outdoor center one time and couldn't eat for a few hours, it made me so nervous! you look fabulous up there! so happy to find your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow how absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure totally worth it even with the cut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! Looks like hard work! You go girl! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. Thanks for letting me climb today vicariously through you! Beautiful picks.. and I hope you patted yourself on the back for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. this is amazing! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahh so amamzing girl!! now thats one way to live. (and yes i too would love if i could have a job as a professional BLOGGER. hehe :) we can dream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! you are inspiring. i have never once in my life been hiking! you are a winner!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh girl! you go! I so miss long hikes up mountains in the North Shore! I never did the Chief, but I did Mount Fromme and a whole bunch of others like Black Mountain, Lynn Canyon, Seymour Demo, Grouse etc. before I had kids. I never did do true rock climbing though (yikes!) but love hiking under forest canopy! Great pics and inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous!
    I always see all these bloggers going to my favorite place on earth: the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you go! Great pictures, it's really beautiful there. Too bad about that tree...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cool! I wish I had an opportunity to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Justina

    Thanks for leaving a thoughtful comment on my blog!

    This looks like so much fun! And I laughed out loud about the paper revenge - that was too cute and funny!

    I can't wait to try rock climbing - it looks like tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressive! Sounds like a thrilling day! And those views are breathtaking! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected