Image Map

The Setting Sun in Ibiza

Ibiza truly is a magical island. Even though it's been a few weeks since I've been there, I still remember it all vividly in my memories. Unfortunately, traveling lends little time to sit down and blog, but the stories are still waiting to be told. On our second day in Ibiza, we decided to rent a boat and explore the island by sea. We got a great deal for it and is one of the best things I've had the pleasure of experiencing.






I have to say, for the longest time I've considered myself a mountain girl but after speeding through the waters on the boat and living on the island, I could completely see myself as an island girl as well! One thing's for certain, I definitely want to purchase a boat if I get the chance.

After living in Madrid for almost 3 months, and after terrace-hopping while drinking wine and tinto de verano's (red wine & lime soda), it's fair to say that Madrid definitely has a vibrant terrace culture; and while Ibiza has terraces as well (and most certainly is world-renowned for it's nightlife scene,) the one thing that pleasantly surprised me was the sunset culture. In fact, it completely blew me away.








I'll be honest, when my friend first told me about watching the sunset every night, I was not as enthused, and I had my reasons. Firstly, we have gorgeous beaches in Vancouver so I've seen my fair share of sunsets. Secondly, I didn't understand how sitting down and watching the sun set could possibly be any fun. But boy oh boy, when I experienced the Ibiza sunset at the cafe, I had to take it all back.

For one, an Ibiza sunset is not at all like a Vancouver sunset.



Let me explain.

The view was amazing, but what was truly incredible was that once the sun hit a certain degree in the sky, the cafe changed their music to chill out "sunset" music, and every single person turned to watch. The music combined with the ambience was just...perfect. You don't just see the sun, you feel it and you hear it. It was an attraction on it's own. And when the sun finally set, everyone broke out into applause. After that, I had a renewed appreciation for sunsets. I mean how could you not?


I am fortunate to have a great friend who lives in Ibiza during the summer so he showed us around the magic island. For the 8 days I was there, the itinerary was simple, beach by day and club by night. The beaches were absolutely stunning and my pale skin (thanks to the Canadian climate,) was getting quite tanned. In those moments, the beach waves washed away all my worries; and in those moments, you know that you just have to stop thinking and start living.



2 comments:

  1. There is nothing like a perfect beach to keep you doing sun salutations day in and day out. I'm going to the Pacific Northwest this week and we'll see what the beaches there are like :) I'm packing a jacket!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected